“When a father gives to his son, both laugh; when a son gives to his father, both cry.” — William Shakespeare
Ever wondered how Father’s day was started?
Hmmm, here are some intereting facts on Father’s day:
1. Sonora Louise Smart Dodd started the tradition of honoring Father’s day. She approached the Spokane Ministerial Alliance on June 5, 1910, also her father’s birthday, and suggested that fatherhood needs to be honored too. The Alliance chose the third Sunday of June. Her mom died of childbirth when she was 16.
2. This year is the 100th year of celebrating Father’s day.
3. US President Woodrow Wilson approved the observance of Father’s day, in 1916.
4. President Calvin Coolidge made Father’s day a national event, in 1924.
5. The most common Father’s day gift is the necktie.
6. Red flowers are usually worn for living fathers, while white flowers for deceased fathers.
Happy Father’s day to all father’s.